Are you insatiably curious about the world and love learning new things? Do you love being the first to know about what’s happening? Do you want to write or talk about the latest news to an audience as interested as you are? Do you dream of seeing your name associated with outstanding content; written, oral or video? Then you need the best possible foundation in practical journalism skills.
This is the qualification for those who want to change the world by letting people know what is really going on.
Top journalists, editors and trainers identified just what you will need to be a part of the next generation of award-winning journalists and developed this qualification, available to everyone for the first time in 2023.
1 year | NQF level 5 – QCTO qualification | Facilitated online and in person |
Learn techniques to put your creativity into practice to come up with great story ideas, fact-check, research, interview people and tell stories to keep people hanging on your every word.
Subjects like law, democracy, government, research methods, journalistic writing, interviewing, social media, photography and design principles will get you producing great, ethnical journalism. Making complex matters understandable through storytelling.
You’ll develop your own story ideas, create written, audio and video content working in a newsroom. You will see your name with your stories and develop a portfolio to show what you can do.
You will also be prepared with the skills you need for the workplace – communication, collaboration, and self-management – to be able to work in a dynamic future-facing environment.
A solid basis in journalism prepares you for a range of careers and this qualification is designed to get you fully equipped.
Originate and pitch content ideas
Great journalism is all about ideas, this course will have you creating and pitching the best. You will learn how to:
- Produce the best story ideas through using tools and source mining
- Tailor story ideas for your organisation, resources and platform
- Understand how story ideas fit with an organisation and will work on a platform (including social media, websites, print, video and audio)
- Build your reputation by testing ideas against legal and ethical standards before publishing
- Pitch your ideas like a pro to convince editors
- Be flexible and change ideas based on feedback
Report by gathering information
But the best idea needs proper prep. Prep for a great story by learning to:
- Turn your pitch or brief into an actionable plan to produce your story
- Customise your story based on length/duration, placement, treatment, focus, angle, resources and deadlines.
- Ask the right questions to guide your research
- Sift through your research to make sure all the critical elements are there and none of the fluff, so your package can grip your audience from beginning to end
- Prepare to nail those interviews, with solid techniques and flexibility
Create publishable content
Create amazing video, audible, written and social media content by learning to:
- Create a great first draft or cut according to requirements
- Make it even better with reviewing and editing
- Nail that intro or framing content
- Create absorbing content in telling your story, with all the necessary and additional elements
- Get your content signed off for all platforms and see the results of your hard work
As part of the occupational certificate, you won’t only learn the theory. You will learn how to implement by practicing all your skills, including personal skills and develop a portfolio that demonstrates your work. Developing a portfolio and passing a final written exam are required to get your certificate.
Cost: R48 000
Application requirements: National Senior Certificate (NSC)
The certificate is a blended learning experience with both face-to-face and online sessions
Upon successful completion of this learning programme, you will receive a certificate authenticated and issued by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO).
- NQF level 5
- 120 credits
- QCTO Qualification Number: 101872.
- Click on the Apply button, complete the application form. You will need to upload your highest educational qualification, ID and CV and pay the non-refundable application fee of R200.
- Via email we will send you your Application Confirmation Letter, you will need to send us the required documentation.
- Upon review of your documentation, you will receive an Offer to Study letter. A R9000 non-refundable registration fee is due upon acceptance of the offer.
- Register and pay your registration fee.
Greenacres Office Park,
+27(11) 888 0140
frayintermedia is a partner media organisation to fraycollege which helps businesses and organisations to thrive in the media space. Find out more.